UK signs post-Brexit air services deal with US

UK signs post-Brexit air services deal with US

The UK and US signed today an aviation agreement to ensure the continuation of flights between the two countries when the Brexit transition period ends this year. British Transport Secretary Grant Shapps and the US’ Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, signed the bilateral agreement, which will replace the current EU agreement, set to expire on 31 December 2020. In a statement, Shapps said: “The air services agreement will allow us to continue to travel and…

Read More

VINCI Airports to buy £2.9bn stake in Gatwick

VINCI Airports to buy £2.9bn stake in Gatwick

VINCI Airports has signed an agreement to acquire a 50.01 per cent stake in London Gatwick Airport from Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) in a deal worth £2.9bn. GIP, which acquired Gatwick in 2009, will continue to operate the remaining 49.99 per cent of the airport after the transaction is completed later this year. Nicolas Notebaert, chief executive officer of VINCI Concessions and president of VINCI Airports, said: “As Gatwick’s new industrial partner, VINCI Airports will support…

Read More

UK and US announce post-Brexit open skies agreement

UK and US announce post-Brexit open skies agreement

Transport Secretary, Christ Grayling, announced last week a new open skies agreement between the UK and the US, which the government says will safeguard flights across the Atlantic following Brexit. The new deal will ensure that aircraft flying out of the UK will be able to continue operating in the US and have access to the same facilities, enabling for a smooth transition once a formal British withdrawal from the European Union is complete. In…

Read More

UK-EU flights could be hit in event of no-deal Brexit

UK-EU flights could be hit in event of no-deal Brexit

Flights between the UK and the EU could cease if Britain crashes out of the bloc without a deal, the government has said. In its latest set of notices in the event of a “no deal” scenario, the government said flights could be disrupted because the EU-issued aviation licences would not be valid and airlines would have to seek individual permissions to operate within respective states. Under current laws, all British pilots licences are issued…

Read More

Flight cancellations could cost Ryanair up to €25m

Flight cancellations could cost Ryanair up to €25m

Low-cost carrier Ryanair’s move to cancel around 50 flights per day over the next six weeks is likely to cost the airline up to €25m (£22.2m) in compensation payouts and other costs. Over the weekend, the Irish carrier scrapped well over 100 flights as a result of what chief executive Michael O’Leary has called “a mess of our own making” in planning pilot rostering. Ryanair has now written to 400,000 passengers to tell them that…

Read More

Heathrow Airport records second busiest month in its history

Heathrow Airport records second busiest month in its history

Heathrow Airport recorded the second busiest month in its history in August, with 7.5 million passengers travelling through the international hub. The total marks a 2 per cent increase on the same period in 2016. Passenger growth was particularly significant in the domestic sector, up 6 per cent, thanks to recently launched Flybe flights to Scotland. Middle Eastern destinations were also popular with travellers, with fuller aircraft leading to a 7 per cent increase in passengers…

Read More

Liverpool John Lennon Airport completes £3 million terminal improvements

Liverpool John Lennon Airport completes £3 million terminal improvements

Liverpool John Lennon Airport has completed the latest phase of improvement works, with almost £3 million invested over the last nine months in improving customer experience. New retail stores, bars, and restaurants have opened across the airport, and around 2,000sqm of the upper floor of the Departures Lounge has also been refurbished and upgraded. The works were based on feedback regarding the standard of shopping and eating facilities on offer, and aimed to create a more comfortable and…

Read More